About Me

My photo
I am a USC Trojan studying communication and marketing and I love the color purple =]

Friday, January 28, 2011

Fellow Blogger Profile: Michael Fleischner

One of my new favorite marketing blogs is The Marketing Blog by Michael Fleischner. He is a true marketing guru and an author of a couple books on the topic. With 13 years of experience in the industry, he provides great insight to online marketing. He shares his experiences with different products and brands. The best way I can think of describing him is an amusing spunky nerd.


He manages to write about ‘all aspects of marketing’ and offer interesting tips to his readers while sharing his personal experiences with different products and services. His post on January 5, 2011 was one of my favorites because he passionately talks about email marketing! Some posts even come off as diary entries. His attention to detail is great and the examples he uses are very helpful.

In his post titled, “The Best Customer Service Email Ever!” He shares his experience with the company Bodybuilding.com. He copy pasted the actual email he received from the firm and said it is “the best friggin' follow up email I think I've ever received.” It is awesome to see someone get so excited about a confirmation email. It goes to show how important it is to invest in great customer service! Michael writes new posts roughly once a week and each receives on average ten comments. The greatest thing about his posts is they are not too long so it is great for people like me who have an attention span of a goldfish.

Another blog post I found interesting is “National Email Unsubscribe Day January 3, 2011.” I like that he does not use a boring tone and does not write as if he is a dreary business professor. Instead, he writes as though he is having an enjoyable conversation with his followers. In this particular post, he started by complaining about how difficult it is to unsubscribe from certain email lists and then he talks about the importance of having updated mailing lists. He then shares a quick tip, “Having a clean email list is great for us because it allows us to better understand our true reach and effectiveness with marketing campaigns.”

Similar to The Marketing Blog, I would like to write about my personal experiences with different products and services as well as talk about different marketing strategies of firms. Even though the world of marketing and advertising is loads of fun,what is great about his blog is he took an academic subject and managed to turn it into something fun and attractive.

Unlike Michael, I would like to write article reviews and about various case studies because I love reading about issues firms face and how they overcome problems. I plan to focus more on different marketing campaigns, sharing my opinion on whether or not their strategies coincide with their brand image. Our target audience seems to be relatively similar: people who are intrigued by the industry as well as looking for some interesting marketing stories and strategies.

His audience may be slightly more experienced as he is a businessperson with thirteen years of experience! I hope to attract a younger audience who is looking for an informal blog about the industry and it would be great if we started a community and shared different ideas and thoughts about what companies are doing…how about we go with the Marketing Mayhem Clan…I like the sound of that!
 

TTFN, ta ta for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment