About Me

My photo
I am a USC Trojan studying communication and marketing and I love the color purple =]

Friday, February 18, 2011

Was Poor Barbie Valentineless?

“OH EM GEE!”

So, like the other day I was talking to my friend Audria and you will never believe what she told me…hold on to your boot straps because what I’m about to tell you is going to blow you away! She was like OMG…I was like NO WAY!

http://bit.ly/eXupjL


In case you did not get the memo, what I am going to tell you is a pretty big deal!

A few years ago after a 43 year relationship, Barbie and Ken split up and I could not believe it. I think I was shocked along with ever other five year old who was crying their eyes out over this Hollywood break up. With their on again off again relationship, rumors spread like wildfire that they would get together again. As usual about any relationship under the spot light, ridiculous rumors also spread about why they broke up. Let me give you some examples of how obnoxious these were. Patricia O'Connell from Businessweek address some of them in an article-
Being single better suits the Cali Girl doll”

“Barbie has left Ken for Blaine.”
“Ken is gay.”
Then again, another rumor that tops all of the one’s I listed above…(a rumor that I STRONGLY) believe in….

http://bit.ly/goe0oA

Cynics called the split a desperate publicity stunt by the couple's company, Mattel Inc., which has seen Barbie's popularity and revenues in the U.S. drop recently despite her numerous image makeovers and new products.
http://bit.ly/eawAJa
Seriously, is that not the one of the most genius marketing ploys you have ever heard of? Of course, in a press conference the handsome doll had a statement prepared at a press conference to save face:

"Barbie and I decided to spend some time apart," the statement read. "She's got a new look ... I'm confident we will always stay friends."

As devastating as their Hollywood breakup was for all of the Barbie loving customers, I think this was a BRILLIANT marketing strategy. Just recently Mattel implemented another awesome campaign that revolved around Valentine’s Day and had millions wondering if Ken was going to take him back. Billboards were displayed all over the place with Ken begging Barbie to take her BACK!  

Not trying to be repetitive or anything but….Who ever thought of this idea IS A GENIUS in my book. The campaign was implemented just in time to reveal the Barbie’s answer right around Valentine’s Day. The bright blue billboards with Ken pleading Barbie to take him back created great sense of emotional appeal to women and young girls everywhere and the campaign generated a crazy buzz.
My brain flooded with dollar signs when I first heard of the campaign. I can’t even imagine how many girls cried out “MOMMM LOOOK OVER THERE! IT’S KENN!” All of the kids who went through the stress and emotional rollercoaster due to their separation must have been ecstatic Ken is back. What can I say, I guess even Barbie fell in love with the billboards and couldn’t help but take him back.
Although this campaign was probably a retention strategy I also think it was a great customer acquisition strategy. For the younger kids who may have just recently started playing with Barbie and are not familiar with Ken, this campaign was a great way to gain their attention.
I can’t wait to one day be the mastermind behind an amazing marketing and advertising campaign.
TTFN, ta ta for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment